Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Author Spotlight: Bree Felling



Please tell us about yourself and your writing.

Hello! My name is Bree Felling, Poet, Spoken Word artist and author of “Before the Blooming”. I started writing poetry frequently around age 10, I had also experimented writing novels but I never ended up finishing them, I seemed to speak my mind best through poetry.  In my teens it was more of a therapy for me, a quick and easy way to write what I was feeling at exactly that time, it was a challenge to myself to describe my life at the time in the least amount of words possible. I want to be able to say the words and thoughts people are afraid to say out loud and admit them to themselves. I want someone to read my work and be able to say “This is exactly how I’m feeling right now, these are the words I’ve been trying to say”. 

I actually never had any intention of publishing any of my work. The thought had never crossed my mind, it was always more of a personal therapy session for me. Later on I suffered a bad case of writers block, but met someone who helped me get over it. I began to be able to write again, and started experimenting with ‘spoken word’ instead of poetry after I was introduced to it in college. I found an open mic café in the town beside me and decided to go one night. I decided that the next Friday I was going to begin performing my work. It was time the world knew what I had to say. Now I’m also working on my next collection of poetry, and an adult poetry book as well.

 But aside from writing I’ve always been a very creative and “fashion forward” person. I’ve always released my inner artist by messing around with crazy makeup looks, weird hair colors, colored contacts and outfits. I always thought life was too short to look the same every day. I’ve always loved pushing boundaries and re-defining normality, both in my life, and my writing.
What inspired your current book?

 I don’t think I could have found any other title better then “Before the Blooming”. I chose this title because that’s exactly what the book was for me, a printed version of the growth process that I went through in my life, and as a writer. I left the dates intact for most of the poems, it lets you know how old I was while reading, so you can literally see the growth as a person and a poet. The poetry inside was everything I dealt with between ages 10 to about 18. The loss, the depression and my thoughts; but also my happiness, my joy, and creative thinking.

Blurb:
  
Before the Blooming is a collection of seven years of poetry that truly show the experience of being alive through eight unique sections, Love, Lust, Life, Nature, Religion, Fantasy, Darkness & Death, and Etc. Before the Blooming discusses all aspects of living through the use of poetry. The good times, and the bad. Because in the end, everything, is an experience.”

Find Bree on the Internet:
Website   Facebook   Twitter   

 Buy Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment