Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I'm Too Frumpy For My Gym

I go to the gym three or four days a week because A) I want to stay fit, and B) the kid center provides Miss Bear and I with a much needed break from one another.

Most of the people at my gym are pretty normal, but then there's another group. Fashionistas who carry Coach purses onto the cardio floor, who wear coordinated athletic outfits by name brand designers. These ladies look like they showered, applied makeup, arranged their perfectly coifed hair before their workout.

As a rule, I prefer to mind my own business. I use the elliptical machine. I wear headphones. I obey the rules of exercise equipment and elevators--don't look left or right. Stare straight ahead. Don't look at or speak to your neighbor.

Imagine my astonishment when a hand tapped my elbow. Startled, I glanced over at the occupant of the other elliptical machine, a young Asian lady who appeared to be one of the aforementioned Fashion Fitness Warriors. She spoke to me, so I removed my head phones.

"Your hair is very frizzy," she said. "I am a hair stylist. I just wanted to let you know that your hair stylist can provide you with a conditioning treatment that will make your hair very smooth."

"Um, thanks," I said. Then, for unknown reasons, I felt compelled to explain. "I don't shower before I work out, so I wake up and put my very frizzy hair into a ponytail."

"Your hair stylist can help you," she said with the serious air of an oncologist referring a cancer patient to chemo.

Right. I don't have a hair stylist. I refrained from telling her that the only time I've even had my hair trimmed in the last four years was the prior November, and only then for my sister's wedding.

"You have very pretty hair. Pretty color," she said. I think at this point she felt compelled to do some damage control for my poor ego. "Is your color natural?"

"I have children," I said, which is really the same as saying, Duh. My natural color is gray.

"Call your hair stylist right away," she said.  "She can help with the frizz."

"Uh, thanks?"

With a bright smile of encouragement, she concluded her workout and went on her merry way, content in the knowledge that she had done her best to save her fellow frumpy human being.

10 comments:

  1. Too funny. But if it helps, I have a really good product....(just kidding, couldn't help myself!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte,
      Gee, thanks. ;-)

      I actually own stuff to tame the frizz, and a straighter that I hardly ever use. :D

      Delete
  2. That's too funny! I know exactly what you mean by the fashionistas. They're one reason why I don't want to join my local gym because I not only have frizzy hair, I'm the whole frump package.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cerian, awww, don't let them scare you off. We frumps far outnumber the fashionistas. We just need to turn out in force and we'll scare them to the tips of their color-coordinated socks. ;-)

      Delete
  3. ha ha!!! I love your posts. But she'll figure it out when she's got more kids than salon products in her house. She'll probably even remember this conversation with you and be compelled to search you out and apologize while fingering her then gray and unkempt hair. bwah-haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niecey,
      One can only hope that sort of karmic justice actually exists! *G*

      Delete
  4. What you should have said: "I spend a fortune to have my hair done this way. I like bucking the trends and being unique. But, thanks for your concern."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, LOL Too funny. I wish I had thought of something like that to say at the time. Unfortunately, I never come up with great comebacks until much much later. --> Hindsight 20/20...

      Delete
  5. Good grief. Change your gym, quickly. That sort of stuff is way out of date. The gyms I've been to over the past five years are all about serious and we sure don't look good. We are SWEATING. Also, even the all ladies gyms now are less about the flash and more about the train and strain. I'm from Downunder. Does that make a difference? I guess we're all frumpy down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonnie, but then she would win! Also, I like my gym. And it's one of two in the entire city that has a kid center. Without a safe place to check in Miss Bear, I'd never be able to workout.

      Delete