Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Author Spotlight: Alison Henderson




Alison, please tell us about yourself and your writing.


Unlike many writers, I didn’t grow up knowing I wanted to be a writer. My writing grew out of my obsessive reading habit. While I was home on maternity leave in the mid-eighties, I discovered romance novels, and I was hooked. By the time my daughter entered pre-school, I started one of my own. That first book was awful, but I didn’t know it at the time. Over the next twenty years, I studied my craft, wrote two more books, won several contests, hired and fired an agent, and eventually published my second and third books with The Wild Rose Press. My current release, The Treasure of Como Bluff (also from WRP), is my first novella and the first story I wrote just for fun.

On the personal front, I took early retirement at the end of 2012 and am moving with my husband of thirty years from Minnesota to Carmel, California at the beginning of April. Yay to no more shoveling snow!

What inspired your current book?

It may be hard to believe, but The Treasure of Como Bluff was actually inspired by a dream I had about a female paleontologist finding an unconscious man at her dig site. Where that came from I’ll never know. I didn’t write the dream down at the time, but the imagery persisted in my mind for several years until just the write time to write the story.



Blurb:

In her race against rival bone hunters, the last complication paleontologist Caroline Hubbard needs is an unconscious stranger cluttering up her dig site. Nicholas Bancroft might have the chiseled features and sculpted physique of a classical statue, but she's not about to let him hamper her quest to unearth a new species of dinosaur and make her mark on the scientific world. 

Nick has come to Wyoming in search of silver but, after a blow to the head, finds himself at the mercy of a feisty, determined female scientist. Despite his insistence that he's just passing through, he agrees to masquerade as Caroline's husband to help save her job. Once their deception plays out, they face a crucial decision. Will they be able to see beyond their separate goals and recognize the treasure right in front of them?




Buy Links:
Amazon ebook
Barnes and Noble ebook
The Wild Rose Press

Where to Find Alison Henderson on the Web: 
Website   Facebook    Twitter   Blog   Email

 



5 comments:

  1. Good morning, Melissa. Thank you so much for inviting me to visit today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, good morning! Thanks for being my guest author this week! I really enjoyed reading The Treasure of Como Bluff. Did you do a lot of research into fossils while you were writing it?

      Delete
    2. I did enough research to be able to slip in references to appropriate fossil finds but hopefully not so much as to bog down the story. It's always a risk when you have such a fun, interesting setting.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alison,

    Good luck on your move. I have The Treasure of Como Bluff on my Kindle and hope to get to it soon. Every time I see the blurb, it makes me want to read it. Unfortunately I'm about 40 pages behind where I should be on my current WIP so reading has taken a back seat for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I feel like if I didn't travel, I'd never read. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete