Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My Kind of Hero: Holding Out by Kryssie Fortune #amreading #kindle




I need a hero, I'm holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night
He's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero, I'm holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He's gotta be sure and it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life, larger than life

Bonnie Tyler got it so right. My favourite heroes are creatures of the night, Vampires, Werewolves, Fae, Gods, and Demons. That makes them fast, violent and way larger than life.

Alpha heroes are the stuff of romantic fantasy. They might run wolf packs with a will of iron and a touch of humour, or walk with Gods, but everything pales when they meet their one, true love.

I love my werewolves, Caleb the Cold, and Joel Blackheart, and my Fae, Leonidas stole my heart. (Or maybe it was his mischievous baby dragon that sucked me in.) To me though, Jase – from Giving it Up for the Gods – is special.




This is more about me than him. I love history, and all things Roman. When my husband whisked me of to Rome, I fell in love with the Eternal City. Walking through the forum, I felt drawn to the Temple of Saturn. It once housed Rome’s treasury, and it dates from 457BC. That blows my mind.


Saturn arrived in Italy dethroned and the run. Janus, the ruling god invited him to stay, and Saturn brought agriculture to the Romans.

A Bromance? Who knows?

Below is a Roman statue showing Janus. Yeah, I know, it doesn’t do him justice. Picture him with designer stubble and a more up to date hairstyle. Sculpted muscles, bad ass attitude, and of course horns that only appear when his demon takes charge, all add to his charm.



The more I dug, the more the story pulled me in. He was honest and straightforward, the best of the best—which makes think of the scene where Will Smith tries out for Men in Black. As a God Beginnings and Endings, he ruled doors, and our month of January is name after him. Then, according to legend, he raped the nymph, Cardea.

Why would a god who was respected by everyone do that?

So the “What if’s” started.
What if she’d cried wolf? What if an innocent man had been convicted of a crime he didn’t commit. Great, now I’ve gone from Men in Black to the A Team.
What if the other gods tossed Janus from the heights of Olympus to the depths of Hell?
Worse, what if a demon took root in his soul?

You got me. I love a hero with tortured soul.
Now Janus has clawed his way back in the human world, he calls himself Jase. His best friend still drops in occasionally. His best friend? Saturn of course, but he prefers to be called Saul.

In Giving it Up for the Gods, the Siren race helped convict Janus of raping Cardea. He’s endured centuries of abuse and torment because of their lies. No wonder he hates Sirens.

And, of course, my heroine is a siren.

Title: Giving It Up For The Gods.
Publisher: Loose ID
Date Published:
Genre: Paranormal / Urban Fantasy
Word Count:59,000 words

Not only angels fall.

Convicted of a crime he didn’t commit, the warrior god Janus plummeted from the heights of Olympus to the depths of the Underworld. After centuries of pain and torment, he finally clawed his way free. He'll never forgive the gods who condemned him, or the sirens for their part in his downfall.

Each summer, to celebrate the Feast of Neptunealia, Neptune demands a virgin sacrifice. And his sacrifice of choice is a siren.

Sirens are strong, sassy, and sexy.

Lindy’s siren heritage makes her fierce, lusty, and curious but she dreams of loving one man forever. She won’t give her heart—or her virginity—to a short lived mortal she might accidentally break in bed. When Neptune demands her as his sacrifice, she’s determined to give her virginity to anybody except him.

Janus, or Jase as he calls himself now, rescues Lindy from Neptune’s mermen. He’s the one man she’s eager to bed. The clock’s ticking. Lindy has forty-eight hours to seduce the siren-hating Jase and win his heart. That or Neptune will find her and take her against her will.

Excerpt:
Two biker boots--solid, black leather with thick soles and long laces--filled her gaze. She followed them upward, licking her lips as she stared at her rescuer’s muscular thighs. Injured arm cradled against her chest, she threw back her head to clear the hair from her face. She’d almost suffocated. Relief made her shaky, and it didn’t help that Tall, Dark, and Handsome towered over her, his expression half sympathetic, half fierce. 
Breathtaking male. Damn, but he’s even more stunning close up. 
Then the unfeeling jerk dragged her upright and dumped her behind the bar. “Stay there and be quiet.” 
Neptune’s balls, it hurt when he pulled her about like that, especially when that people pile had cracked her ribs and shattered her wrist. And who did he think he was, giving her orders? Sirens weren’t the shut-up-and-do-as-I-say type. Once she caught her breath, she’d hit that shrill note that would shatter the mermen’s eardrums; then she’d leave. 
Lindy’s rescuer dived back into the fight, clearly intending to keep the merwarriors at bay. Apparently deciding to deal with him first, a huddle of mermen swamped him like American footballers falling on a ball at the end of a play. 
A Siren’s lullaby rose up in Lindy’s throat, but she’d never be able to hold the long, low notes, not with broken ribs. Tall, Dark, and Domineering had saved her, and she owed him. Sirens weren’t known for their common sense, and broken bones notwithstanding, her personal code demanded she help him. 
Before she moved, Tall, Dark, and Deliciously Sexy threw off the mermen as though they weighed nothing. He hauled his surfer friend from the battle and towed him toward the bar. His intense gaze fastened on Lindy. 

Buy links:
Amazon 

Author Links:
Twitter: @KryssieFortune

Coming soon, To Mate a Werewolf – Book three of the Scattered Siblings series. Pease note each book is a stand a lone. I hate cliff hanger endings, and wouldn’t foist one on my readers.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Kryssie,
    Welcome to the Snarkology. Thank you for participating in My Kind of Hero. I love your song choice! Holding Out for a Hero holds some serious nostalgia for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Melissa ,Kryssie here, but I'm in France and noting sinks. I'm going to try post as anonymous. Thanks for having me. I love the whole concept of this blog hop, and I love being part of it..

      Delete
  2. I love that Bonny Tyler song! In our hearts, I think we're all 'holding out' for a hero and hopeful he'll arrive, no matter in what form. And your Janus-based idea is definitely intriguing! Best of luck !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,
      Kryssie here, I agree, we all want someone special, but the great thing about this blog hop is that it highlights so many different sorts of alpha male. There's got to be on for all of us here.

      Delete