Sunday, June 29, 2014

Snark Bites: Today's Epiphany

I realized this morning that I need a Scottish Fold so I can name him MacGuffin.

Future Snark Cat "MacGuffin"


MacGuffin (a.k.a. McGuffin or maguffin) is a term for a motivating element in a story that is used to drive the plot. It actually serves no further purpose. It won't pop up again later, it won't explain the ending, it won't actually do anything except possibly distract you while you try to figure out its significance. In some cases, it won't even be shown. It is usually a mysterious package/artifact/superweapon that everyone in the story is chasing.  (Quoted from T.V. Tropes.)

2 comments:

  1. Now I know what to call the element that sometimes bugs me in stories. Hmmm. Is the MacGuffin the smoke or the mirror?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashantay, Good question! Let me know when you figure it out!

      Delete