Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Abbey MacInnis on Writing Journeys || ROMANTIC MORSELS



Thank you to Melissa for having me here today. I’m happy to be back!

Abbey, you're welcome and thank you for returning!

I love reading stories of authors journeys to publication. Their stories are so much more interesting than my own. LOL My own journey has been frought with many stops and starts, dead ends and new turns, bumps and times of smooth sailing. I started writing in 2002 on my summer break from college. I majored in social work, but found while attending a very rigorous ten-month Masters program, I’d chosen the wrong career path. I love the idea of helping others, but I found the reality of working in that field didn’t come close to my idea.



I’d had, what I refer to as the calling to write for years, going as far back as high school. I ignored this urge to tell stories. It was a given that I’d go to college. Unfortunately, I lived with the myth that writers can’t make a living with their writing. I was a little younger and worried more about what people would think of me if they knew I secretly yearned to write romance novels. Not one to quit, I graduated with my Masters almost eight years ago. I vowed to give writing a shot, which I’ve been doing ever since. I knew that if I didn’t write I wouldn’t be happy. And by that time I didn’t care what people thought.



I had a job to pay the bills, but other than that, I started from the beginning, learning aspects of craft and the business of publishing and all the little yet very important components that come with being a writer. I received my first contract in 2008 for a Western romance in the Wayback Texas series with The Wild Rose Press. I ventured in writing erotica under a different, now debunked pen name, which got me a few more contracts. Then, in 2011, I self-published an historical novella, followed in 2012 by a single title holiday romance. Over the years I’ve explored writing short stories for magazines in several genres. I learned that romance is my number one genre. *g*



If I could tell someone just starting out one thing, well, several things, it would be to have patience with yourself. Don’t compare yourself and your journey to someone elses. Don’t let jealousy eat you alive. Be kind to yourself. Set realistic and attainable goals. Know who you can trust and be yourself with. Nasty comments or unprofessional behavior remains online forever and most writers have memories of elephants. LOL So don’t say or do something you’ll regret later.



Be open-minded and aware of the changes going on in the publishing industry. I never thought I’d self-publish, but after self-publishing, I learned I love the process and freedom that avenue allows me. Understand that there’s no right or wrong way of doing things. It’s only your way that matters. There are pros and cons to both self-publishing and signing a contract with a publisher. Always keep your eyes open and don’t sign anything you don’t fully understand.



Don’t let others take you off your desired path. Learn to compromise when necessary by carefully choosing your battles. Leave the drama on the pages of your books. Real life angst only serves to drain your energy. When possible, pay it forward. I wouldn’t be where I am if I hadn’t asked fellow authors for advice along the way.



I’ve been through a great many personal and professional trials on my writing journey. All have served to strengthen my resolve to grow as both a writer and human being. I’m excited to see what the future holds, and hope you’ll be there to experience the unknown with me.

Latest release:
Romantic Morsels

Eight stories, eight happy endings; all fast reads full of heart. The calorie free way to indulge in sweet treats.

A Sweet Meet– Could a chance meeting over a ruined carton of eggs and the matchmaking endeavors of a neighbor lead Ellen to a new relationship?

Her Perfect Position – Recently unemployed Amber unwittingly falls for the handsome baker after lending a helping hand. Will her generosity lead to the perfect position?

Santa’s Gift– For Laura, the happiness on the faces of the children at her local soup kitchen is all she needs to make her holidays complete. Until Brad, the resident Santa Clause, gives her the most precious gift of all.

Their Lucky Charm – Allison and her two small children lost everything after a tornado swept through their small town. Can Chad, a local baker, turn their lives around with hope, optimism, and a slice of pie?

Date With Destiny – For Jamie, can a broken garbage disposal and blind date lead to true love?

Singleness Interrupted – When an over-energetic English setter breaks lose and soils a handsome man’s shirt, a chance encounter at the dry cleaners could lead Shelly to redemption after all. 

Music to Her Ears – What happens when Beth’s best friend sets her up to go to a concert with a guy she’s had a crush on for months? Go out with him, of course. But for Beth, a second date would be the sweetest music of all.

Perfect Harmony– Battling and beating cancer was the most difficult obstacle Valerie has faced in her life. Since her remission, she doesn’t feel the same about her body, and she worries her husband Steve is dissatisfied with their marriage. Can Steve hit the right note to prove their marriage is still full of love and harmony?

Available at:


Abbey’s Bio:

Abbey MacInnis is a published author of Contemporary Western romance. Along with Contemporary, she writes Historical, Paranormal and erotic romance. Whether she’s being swept off her feet by a Medieval knight, regency rake, or cowboy or cop, her heroes are always strong men who’ll love their women unconditionally.
On most days, Abbey can be found at her computer, penning her latest tale. A tale where love, respect, and passion combine to create a satisfying and happy ending. Guaranteed. She invites you to step in to the pages of her romances, to leave your worries behind and get swept up in her world.


6 comments:

  1. What a great post! Such wonderful advice. I connected with several of those points. Best of luck with your new work. Barb Bettis

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely reading about your writing journey Abbey and you're right the hardships we traverse, only make us more determined and hopefully better writers too. Good luck with your career.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abbey,
    Welcome to the Snarkology and thank you for sharing your story with my readers. Your anthology looks like a perfect collection for Valentine's Day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I can relate. I just downloaded your book and can't wait to read these stories. Wishing you many sales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful advice, Abbey and I will put it to good use in the next few months. Thanks for offering it. PS Love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writers have to heed the call. I wanted to write romance in college, but at the ONE creative writing class I took, I got skewered in critique. I quit writing for 13 years. Thankfully, the call was too persistent. So, go you! You do what you love.

    ReplyDelete