Monday, July 1, 2013

Guest blogger: Funniest Writing Story by Toni Lynn Cloutier


Thanks so much for having me this week, Mrs. Snark. You asked for my funniest writing moment so here goes.

Toni, thank you for being my guest this week!

It begins when I first decided to try my hand at writing a novel. Now, if you’ve been following my tour you will know that I am not one to read. With that said, I came up with a plot idea, What if a woman fell in love with the man she blamed for killing her husband?

As a stay at home mom, I had just received my first published word search puzzle book cover (Word Search USA). It was awesome. The whole writing-a-book process was thrilling so I wanted to do something else to get another cover.

My plot idea hadn’t dwindled and it wouldn’t let me go. So I sat at the computer and typed everything that came to mind. By the time I was done, I had twenty chapters; each had fifteen to twenty lines. Oh, and there were four chapters on one page.

Obviously, I had no idea how to format a book. But that’s not the funny part.

My BFF came over and I was brave enough to print out a few pages for her to read. As I waited anxiously to see what she thought, she burst into laughter!

Okay, so now I had to wait until she stopped laughing to learn if it was a good or a bad laughter. After she caught her breath, she showed me the page and pointed.
“Read that line.”

I read it out loud. “MaKayla ran to ketchup with him.” I glanced up. “Yeah.”

“Tone, look at the word ketchup,” she said.

Then it hit me. I, too, burst into laughter. Yes, it should have been ‘catch up’. I not only had my mom radar on while writing, it was a sign of how much work was ahead of me. To read a full article on My Road To Publication, you can find it here

Needless to say, it has been a long road. But determination to learn, never giving up, and truly by the grace of God, I have a novel published. 

So if you think you can’t do something, remember how I went from ketchup to The Patriot Girl.

Author Bio:

The youngest of five children, I was born and raised in Rhode Island. After graduating East Providence High School as a member of the Rhode Island Honor Society, I held several jobs from accounts receivable to medical billing before attending Rhode Island Associates of Realtors.

I have a wonderful husband and I’m a a stay-at-home mom to our teenage son.  My week is filled with writing romance novels and listening to country music while cleaning house, rearranging furniture, and playing with the cat we adopted from the shelter.

To learn more about Toni Lynn Cloutier:
Twitter: @ToniLCloutier
  
Be sure to check back Tuesday for Toni's Author Spotlight to learn more about her writing, and then again on Thursday for my review of The Patriot Girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment